[Before we start, have you followed 10 new people yet?]
Have you heard the term “listicle?” Weird word, I know. A listicle is a type of blog post that is formatted as a list–like those Reddit posts you see all the time “13 Ways to Clean Your Bathroom Sink.” They are actually a great way to share information and tips in a way that is easy to scan and understand. Don’t know why I haven’t done one here myself!
These past Author Platform Challenge posts aren’t considered listicles bc even though I’ve had lists in almost everyone (including this), the posts aren’t based around the lists. As in, none of them are the type of post such as “9 Ways to Create a Listicle.”
One Day 28, you’re going to create a listicle today to share with your followers. You choose the topic.
Suggestions for lists you could create include topics like “10 Best Travel Books for Toddlers,” “5 Favorite Bedtime Books with Elephants,” “7 Ways to Strengthen Your Story Arc.”
You can’t post a listicle on, say, Twitter because it’s not the right venue and there isn’t enough room. But you can certainly post a link and direct followers to where you’ve created the listicle (such as your website or your FB Author Page). Create it on any topic. The entire thing can be as short as 100 words.
You want to demonstrate expertise, build trust, and engage with your peeps.
- Choose a topic that you are passionate about, or know a lot about, or can research the heck out of.
- Make sure your list is on brand and of use to your audience.
- Pick a catchy title that (probably) no one else has used, such as “9 ways to Ruin a YA.”
- Come up with a list of 5-10 items.
- Write a brief introduction that introduces your topic and list.
- Consider subheads for easier reading.
- Use active voice to keep it engaging.
- You know I’m going to suggest images if not video!
- Include a call to action at the end of your listicle. “Sign up for my newsletter for more great tips!)
Can’t wait to see what you come up with! Heck, I can’t wait to see what I come up with, lol. Tag #31DayAuthorPlatformChallenge and share.